What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are extracts from plants and are distilled from the bark, leaves, stems, roots and flowers of different vegetation from all over the world. When you look at a plant under a microscope, the plant's scent or aromatic compounds are made up of tiny organic molecules. There are over 3,000 identified varieties of aromatic compounds that each contain their own unique chemical constituent. These protect the plant, regenerate it and help it heal from injury or infection. When we use essential oils, they can also give similar support to our body. Essential oils are powerful and are 50-70 times more potent than herbs! One drop of essential oil can get into our cells within 10 seconds and service every cell in our body in within 15 minutes. It is safe and effective to use these natural compounds on our body because we too are from nature. It is extremely important that you use the purest essential oils from plants that are organic and free of pesticides.
Contact me HERE to get information on the brand that I trust and recommend.
WHAT ARE THE TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS??
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS:
There are 3 ways to use Essential Oils:
Aromatically, Topically and Internally
Our sense of smell is so powerful! When an odor molecule is inhaled through the nasal cavity, it is sensed by our olfactory cells and travels to 5 different structures of the brain near our limbic system. Essential oils can have profound physiological and psychological effects on our emotions, memory and hormones through the olfactory and limbic systems of our brains. When diffused in the air, certain essential oils can be very stimulating while others can be calming and soothing. Beyond emotional benefits, diffusing essential oils can purify air of unwanted odors and some airborne pathogens. Essential oils can also be used as cleansing and purifying additives to laundry and surface cleaners throughout the home.
Different Ways to Use Essential Oils Aromatically
- Direct Inhalation ~ This is the simplest way to inhale the aroma that greatly affect moods and emotions! Simply hold an opened essential oil bottle close to the face and inhale. You may also apply 1-2 drops of oil on your hands, rub together (give a positive affirmation of love, joy, peace or patience) and cup over your mouth and nose to inhale.
- Hot Water Vapor ~ Put 1-3 drops in hot water and inhale. (The heat may reduce some benefits)
- Fan or Vent ~ Put oil on a cotton ball near a fan or vent (great for cars).
- Perfume or Cologne ~ Wearing oils can provide wonderful emotional and physical support- not just a beautiful fragrance. Apply 1-2 drops on wrist or neck (if it is a hot oil, be sure to dilute with a carrier oil). On the market now are some great diffuser necklaces. Check them out!
- Diffuser ~ The best way to get oils in aromatically is through diffusing! Diffusers run from $30 to over $200 depending on the brand and style.* Some come with different light colors and they are available in all shapes and sizes. Most of them run from 1-6 hours. Diffusers are EASY to use. Just add water to the fill line, add 3-8 drops of essential oils. Diffusing essential oils can help:
- Add Moisture to the Air
- Improve Mood
- Clean the Air
- Decrease Stress
- Support Your Immune System
- Make Your Home Smell Amazing!
* Contact me HERE to find out which diffusers I recommend.
Essential oils are easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied topically. Topical application is the process of placing essential oils on the skin, hair, mouth, teeth or nails on your body. Application of essential oils can have immediate, localized benefit to the target area of application. They have restorative and calming properties and can be used effectively with massage and beauty therapy. The chemical structure of essential oils also allows them to be absorbed into the bloodstream via the skin for internal benefit throughout the body. They can also service every cell in you body. Pretty amazing!
Different Ways to Use Essential Oils Topically
- Direct Application ~ This is applying the oils directly on the area of concern. Essential oils are very potent so use less more often.1-3 drops of essential oils is usually adequate. The feet are the second fasted area of the body to absorb oils because the pores are large. Other quick absorbing areas are the wrists and behind the ears.
- Massage ~ This is the stimulation of muscles, skin and tissues to promote healing, balance and connection. To make a massage oil combine 3-10 drops of essential oil with 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil or another safe carrier oil.
- Reflex Therapy/Reflexology ~ A wonderful way to apply oils to contact points (nerve endings) on the feet or hands. (SEE CHART)
- Baths ~ Adding essential oils to your bath can be relaxing and soothing. You can add 3-6 drops to bathwater, epsom salts or bath/shower gel. Fill a glass spray bottle with distilled water and add 10-15 drops of essential oils. Shake well and spray onto the entire body after a bath or shower.
Hot oils that must be diluted: oregano, thyme, clove, cinnamon and cassia (see "Essential Oil Safety" video below)
Carrier oils include: coconut, olive, grapeseed, jojoba, fractionated coconut oil.
Essential oils can also be used as dietary supplements supporting many health conditions. Some essential oils have powerful antioxidant properties while others help support healthy inflammatory response in cells. Only pure essential oils should be used for consumption as other essential oils on the market may be diluted or processed using harmful chemicals. Only take oils internally that are labeled for personal consumption with a Supplement Facts guide on the bottle.
Different Ways to Use Essential Oils Internally
- Sublingual ~ One of the most effective ways to take essential oils internally is by placing 1-2 drops under your tongue. This is a quick way into the bloodstream. 2 drops of Frankincense under the tongue can help support a healthy inflammatory response in the body.
- Beverage ~ Simply add a couple drops of the essential oils to drinking water. You must only use a glass or stainless steel container because citrus oils leech out the harmful chemicals found in plastic. A couple drops a day of a citrus oil like Orange or Lemon can help to flush out toxins in the liver and create an alkaline environment where disease cannot thrive.
- Capsules ~ Place 1-10 drops of essential oil in an empty veggie capsule and swallow. You may dilute with a safer carrier oil such as olive oil before closing and swallowing. An effective way to take the oils internally that have a less desirable taste.
- Cooking ~ Essential oils can be incorporated in your cooking but just remember that they are highly concentrated. Start with one drop and add from there if needed.
IMPORTANT ESSENTIAL OIL SAFETY INFO:
This is one of the most vital things you must know about essential oils: not all essential oils are created equally. In fact, many of them are worthless to your health, are often synthetic and have fillers. When buying essential oils, make sure they are pure and potent. Don’t use them unless you know they are safe and free of residues, pesticides and chemicals.
This is just the tip of the iceberg on how you can use essential oils for supporting your health and well being. There are literally 1000’s of ways to use them for your home, your mood, supporting your immune system and assisting your body back into balance!